In line with one of my recent themes – In addition to the well publicised difficulties it causes, the tough economy is also creating opportunities for those sharp enough to spot them and with the resources to take them – I noticed a three articles this week confirming this hypothesis very clearly.
- Pawnbroker Albemarle & Bond set to open more stores
- Primark sees strong sales growth
- Guy Hands buys out fund investors … (at a deeply discounted price)
So the question for all of us running our enterprises must be
- How do we capitalise upon a tough market. ie How does the tough market make our product MORE attractive?
and more specifically using the above examples
- How can we position ourselves as the ‘value’ provider in our sector
- How can we provide products and services needed by people and companies when they are short of cash
- How can we find the resources to raise our stake / share whilst others are prepared to sell cheaply
Bob is a specialist in running high value added service businesses, having run five such businesses as General Manager, Managing Director or Chief Executive. His last employed role was as Chief Executive of a £16M, 200 person family owned business having previously been Chief Executive of an AIM listed company for which he raised £5M funding and which he grew from £4M to £12M in three years through two acquisitions and organic growth, and a corporate PLC subsidiary where he was Managing Director responsible for delivering £10M profit on £45M turnover through 450 staff.
Bob is now following a portfolio career providing entrepreneurial business leaders with mentoring and coaching around business leadership, business growth, merger integration and exit planning.
Core to his portfolio is MD2MD. Having experienced for himself the value of having a strong sounding board of fellow Managing Directors he founded MD2MD in 2004 to provide groups of business leaders with a confidential environment within which they can support and challenge each other to raise their game as leaders and by doing so improve the success of their organisation.More about Bob
- You meet your peer group privately for structured confidential conversations about real business challenges. You meet online for 90 minutes every 3 weeks.
- You attend one of a selection of open workshops led by top professional speakers sharing best practice on a wide range of leadership topics.
- You join our annual conference LeaderFest and our annual ‘Retreat to advance’.