Helen Hall, MD2MD member says
“Joining MD2MD was one of my best business decisions ever. I can categorically say that I have won one contract as a direct result of a single MD2MD meeting. That contract alone generated in excess of £165,000 profit for my business.”
Such benefits are clearly important. Speakers prompt members to take action. Members challenge each others’ thinking. And the value is directly and immediately visible.
As someone who’s grown from being the sole sales person to Managing Director and now as Executive Chairman investing in other ventures, long standing member Helen is perfectly placed to verify that there are definitely identifiable, tangible and measurable benefits and also that there are many less trackable, but still significant benefits. Indeed generally the most valuable benefits are least trackable and vice versa as illustrated by the diagram at the bottom of the page.
The immediate benefits are generally the by-products of, not the point of, membership.
The most significant returns from membership are:
- Better decisions implemented more effectively as a result of the insights you gain from meetings
- Higher performing teams as a result of your increased confidence, competence and motivation
- More personal energy and enthusiasm to overcome the challenges of running a business
Those returns are though difficult to prove:
- If through being a member you understand something better and so six months down the line you make a better decision, how do you track that better decision back to the MD2MD meeting activity?
- If through being a member you engage more effectively with your staff and as a result they work harder or smarter and deliver more effectively, how do you track that performance improvement back to the MD2MD meeting activity?
- If through being a member you have more of a spring in your step more often and bounce back from setbacks more quickly, how do you track that greater resilience to simply engaging with fellow leaders facing similar challenges?
Practically our members have dozens or hundreds of staff and make decisions worth £?0,000, £?00,000 and sometimes £?,000,000. Getting one such decision right, making it sooner or implementing it better justifies membership for years. You only need to get one more decision right a year to justify the membership fee.
Likewise showing that your better leadership and your team’s improved performance is at least partially a consequence of MD2MD membership can’t be proven. You only need your staff to perform 1% more productively to justify your membership fee.
Like many business leadership decisions the linkage and the conclusion that the return is worth the investment is one that simply has to be judged by an experienced business person.Judge for yourself by applying for a guest place at a MD2MD meeting now