SME – A different kind of organisationOnline | Wed. 26th April 2023 | 9.30am - 11.00am
Sponsored speaker briefing
In the middle, between ‘start-up’ and ‘corporation’ there is another type of business. These are the ‘second generation’ organisations – and they are flourishing.
In the UK, these ‘small to medium-sized’ enterprises form more than 99% of all businesses and employ over 12 million people. If your business is an SME it will typically turn over anything from £2m to £50m and employ from 10 to 250 people.
An SME doesn’t need the full raft of corporate structures to work well, but as it grows, will need to be guided in a different way from the informal ‘family’ structures and methods you could use when it was smaller. Do you ever find yourself thinking:
“Why does everything end up on my desk?”
“Nobody shows any initiative – it’s like managing a bunch of children.”
“Why can’t I get people to do what I want them to do?”
“I do everything I can to look after them, yet they still complain about me behind my back.”
These are all signs that your informal leadership style and structures are running out of road. Second generation organisations need to be structured more than start-ups, but this doesn’t mean ‘corporate’ systems. In fact, people moving to SMEs from corporates very often fail precisely because they try to over-engineer the organisation.
This workshop is an opportunity for you to place in context the current stage of your business’s development and to share your most pressing current issues and concerns.
What will be covered?
This highly interactive workshop will cover:
- The three growth stages of organisation development: where are you now?
- ‘Managing’ vs ‘operating’ – have you struck the right balance?
- Clarifying people’s roles – beyond the ‘job description’.
- Managing performance and calling people to account.
- The main pitfalls and how to avoid them…
By the end of the programme, you will be able to:
- Map where your company is on the organisation development path.
- Identify what this means for you as leader and manager of the organisation.
- Clarify what your priorities need to be at this stage.
- See where to adapt your behaviour to the needs of your organisation.
- Learn the importance of role clarity as the organisation grows.
- Set up a simple process for managing performance.
A free copy of Kate’s book ‘A Buzz in the Building: How to build and lead a brilliant organisation’ will be available for every workshop participant who would like one.”
Back to Events Listing