Resilience: Bouncing back from a crisis
When and where?
Thursday 30th September 9:00am-1:00pm: Private meeting of London in-person peer group
Richard’s ‘iCan’ Keynote presentation could not be better timed given the current COVID-19 crisis. If there was ever a time when people needed to understand and cultivate their own resilience, then that time would be now. To lead your team to be more resilient you first need to demonstrate resilience in yourself. Although we know that many of our members have already shown brilliant resilience during these troubling times, there is certainly no harm in developing this further.
Richard’s life embodies the spirit of resilience. By drawing on his own experience of adversity, he is able to engage with others and show how he changed his own thinking to process, and bounce back from, one setback after another. He combines this hands-on, authentic approach with the latest scientific research and invites others to reflect on how they can think differently about their own challenges. His workshops are highly engaging and interactive, and participants get to learn and try several practical and effective techniques for reframing negative experiences and improving their resilience.
What you will take away:
- Discover that you are already more resilient than you might think
- Explore ways to bring out the best in your teams
- Learn how important transparency is during challenging times
- Create a culture where it’s OK to make mistakes
- Learn a number of simple strategies that will help you and your teams to be even more resilient
Richard certainly knows a thing or two about resilience. Brought up on the ‘At Risk’ register, at children’s homes, with foster families and then his often violent and alcoholic father, took away any self-esteem that he had. He lost his mother in tragic circumstances and then left school with no qualifications. After a number of dead-end jobs, he turned to drugs and was sent to prison where he reached rock-bottom before finally deciding to find the gut-wrenching determination to turn his life around. He wrote a book about his journey which was a Times No1 Bestseller selling almost 1/2 million copies and has now been translated into 11 languages. He’s inspired audiences across the globe as far and wide as Iran, Malaysia, Italy, Germany, Canada and many more.
Comments from members:
- Richard’s story is a truly remarkable example of almost unfathomable levels of resilience and as an example , one that should be brought to mind whenever crisis looms. He told the story well and in an extremely engaging way – the time flew.
- Great speaker, well delivered. Powerful.
- Engaging presentation with pictures and different styles.
- It was very real and incredibly powerful, helping me reflect on events in my life that can now be used positively going forward.
- Very inspirational, thank you.
- Very interesting and emotional story.
- Delivered an inspiring true life story with transparency, integrity for the benefit of others. Fantastic session.
- Enabled me to reflect and make sense of significant life experiences, that maybe have held me back.
- Engaging great story teller, added humour to what at times could have been very dark. Wished had more time.