A speaker who has spoken for MD2MD before, Mike Southon, shared numerous ‘simple’ tips about leadership, management and enterprise. As always it’s the simple things that are the best and often the ones we realise we don’t always do. So here are three simple ideas that he attributed to his podcast interview with Sir Philip Trousdell:
He makes a clear distinction between
- management, which he says is about getting everything organised properly
- leadership, which he thinks is about taking people further than they think they can go
He suggests that good leaders have three key characteristics
- They have a clear vision – they know where they are leading people
- They are a people person – They understand people and the way they behave
- They behave consistently – People know what to expect and where they stand
He further suggests there are three things a good leader does
- They ask good questions
- They listen carefully
- They give clear instructions
Bob is a specialist in running high value added service businesses, having run five such businesses as General Manager, Managing Director or Chief Executive. His last employed role was as Chief Executive of a £16M, 200 person family owned business having previously been Chief Executive of an AIM listed company for which he raised £5M funding and which he grew from £4M to £12M in three years through two acquisitions and organic growth, and a corporate PLC subsidiary where he was Managing Director responsible for delivering £10M profit on £45M turnover through 450 staff.
Bob is now following a portfolio career providing entrepreneurial business leaders with mentoring and coaching around business leadership, business growth, merger integration and exit planning.
Core to his portfolio is MD2MD. Having experienced for himself the value of having a strong sounding board of fellow Managing Directors he founded MD2MD in 2004 to provide groups of business leaders with a confidential environment within which they can support and challenge each other to raise their game as leaders and by doing so improve the success of their organisation.More about Bob
- You meet your peer group privately for structured confidential conversations about real business challenges. You meet online for 90 minutes every 3 weeks.
- You attend one of a selection of open workshops led by top professional speakers sharing best practice on a wide range of leadership topics.
- You join our annual conference LeaderFest and our annual ‘Retreat to advance’.